Tuesday, March 29, 2011

29th March 2011

How time flies here we are almost at the end of March, wont be long before it is Easter and that’s late this year. I’ll be having a birthday at the same time and trying to convince myself that I don’t feel any older, as long as I believe it I guess that’s the important thing. Since being back in Brisbane we have helped Lisa relocate her belongings into the house she is renting, other than having to pay an exorbitant rent she is very happy, having access to a good rail service if deciding not to use her car, close proximity to her normal social activities and most importantly she is able to research and study without having to go to work to get peace and quiet and not be disturbed all the time. – one down one to go.

We have commenced the process to place David in our unit, a degree of regret is ever present that I attribute to the small percentage of Scottish blood that oozes through my veins reinforced by the comfort of having a good and reliable tenant and even the thought of pocketing several hundred thousand had we decided to sell. Independence I guess is the over-riding factor, ours that is – how I long for that day, break out the Moet.
David’s tenancy will be by trial at first supported by external mentoring, which he will be wise to accept. God willing it is successful and after a reasonable trial period we will sign the unit over to him. It will be controlled but at this stage I won’t go into details suffice to say it will be out of our hands. Similarly if he doesn’t measure up, which I’m sure he will, he won’t have too many options left, the caravan is only set up for two and that’s not two males (I don’t expect to turn funny in my old age).

Busy, busy I’ve also taken the opportunity to freshen up the house and spring clean (don’t forget I’m a Pom and it’s spring in the UK). With Lisa’s gear gone we seem to have so much more room so I have been systematically working through each room getting rid of all the junk (actually it’s really good gear), painting and generally freshening the place up. Even changed the opening of the shower glass door from RH to LH to eliminate leaking, what a job the door weighs a ton, it got away from me at one stage crashed end on, onto the bath took a great lump out of the enamel, so I’ve stuffed the bath, it hit the window sill putting a non repairable dent into that and sliced through the fly screen, just as well the window was open or it would have shattered that too. How the shower door didn’t break has got me amazed. Nancy got up me for not getting someone to help, that made me feel really good.
Well I don’t know what I’ll do about that lot, have to think about it for a while.

Almost finished upstairs other than a couple of light fittings that need replacing, after twenty something years they are looking a bit daggy, then I’ll start downstairs not much to do there mainly a freshen up around the kitchen area and laundry. Outside the pergola area needs a touch up, a translucent roof panel has to be replaced where a foot has been put through it at some stage??? Pavers need to be water blasted and the garden tidied up a bit but it isn’t too bad. None of it is major just basic spring cleaning.

Second week in April we are joining some friends at Wivenhoe Dam for a few days to try our luck at catching Red Claw, we haven’t tried that before so it could be interesting I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment