Monday, January 02, 2012

January 2nd 2012


Happy New Year to everyone 2012 is going to be a good year or at least the start of good things to come, bugger the European situation I’ve had enough of the doom and gloom let’s move on.
Every year seems to go by quicker than the previous one 2011 was no exception, let me tell you when you retire it doesn’t change, what happens is you are inclined to forget what day of the week it is and before you know it Christmas is upon you, so far at least I still know what Christmas is.
Talking of Christmas we had a most enjoyable day, the four of us and Nancy’s sister Nola and her companion Boyd indulged in a most enjoyable buffet luncheon at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club. As well as your normal Christmas fare there was an emphasis on seafood, all I can say is it was first class fresh and plenty of it. We finally left the buffet mid afternoon like bloated cane toads, back to our cottage where other members of the family and our old neighbours joined us for a quiet afternoon session not that this mob is ever quiet. The weather was excellent, we all had a good chat, told a few stories that grow each time, had a good few laughs and emptied several wine bottles, it was all very nice and as a sign of the times we were probably in bed by 9:30pm at the latest.

Strange weather we have been having lately, not as humid as usual for this time of the year, not that I’m complaining about that. Most nights have been cool and in the early morning we have had south-westerly breezes until the sun warms up, quite odd but like I said I’m not complaining I do not like the humidity, even the days haven’t been what you would call hot and down here in the bay we get a lovely breeze anyway so it has been quite pleasant. Certainly not like our poor friends in South Australia with their 40°C heat.

We didn’t see the New Year in, we had a lovely dinner at Susan and Damien’s place (our niece and nephew) including the most splendid French champagne that Damien had been saving for a special occasion (what better time), succulent baked ham and Jamie Oliver vegetables that Susan conjured up most adeptly and a superb crème-brûlée that Damien created with the professionalism of a Cordon Bleu chef, it was all very nice and washed down with too much wine.
We were home and in bed by 11:30pm plenty late enough as I have a bad habit of waking at daylight and can never get back to sleep again, New Years morning was no exception and I was up with the sparrows feeling the effects of too much wine and not enough sleep. By 7:00am I’d had a 2nd cup of tea and wasn’t improving, although the morning was already starting to warm up I needed to shake out some cobwebs so I did a quick 20 kls bike ride and felt vastly improved.
Just lately I have been alternating days riding 20 and 30 kls before breakfast but the scales must be locked because the weight isn’t going down. I guess the obvious is to cut down on my food intake, maybe that will be easier now the festive season is over.
Since the New Year I have completed a couple of oil paintings, I’ll post them in the blog if they photograph ok.

Nancy went to the movies today and saw the film about Margaret Thatcher, apparently it was first class and not to be missed.

Pretty sure the concreter is starting again tomorrow.

Nigel 

No comments:

Post a Comment